Reno is a happening place and holds its own against other destinations, but it’s often compared to Las Vegas. Reno offers a great weekend away for far less money than Sin City, making it the top Vegas alternative!
Here are the top 10 reasons to consider Reno over Vegas:
1. Penny slots everywhere. Vegas offers a few bargain slots —but Reno’s casinos, hotels, and restaurants include penny slots all over the place.
2. Great shows, half the price. Reno presents national acts—well-known bands and plays—often starting at just $30 per person. In addition, cocktails in Reno cost less than a third of any drink in Vegas. Check out the list of upcoming shows in Reno.
3. Lake Tahoe. One hour from Reno, this nature-lover’s dream spot offers 72 miles of beautiful shoreline only 40 miles from downtown Reno. Take in the splendor of this magnificent treasure named “America’s Best Lake” by USA Today.
4. Theweather. During the summer, Vegas temperatures soar to 110 degrees almost every day. Reno is cooler and usually gets a white Christmas.5. The National Bowling Stadium. 78 lanes, with the longest video screen in the world (440 feet in length)— the National Bowling Stadium calls Reno home. The only facility of its kind in the world, it’s often referred to as the “Taj Mahal of Tenpins.”
6. Skiing. Ski during the day. and gamble at night. Just 30 minutes from some of the best ski slopes in the west, Reno offers close access to Mt. Rose, which has the highest base elevation of the Tahoe mountain resorts at 8,260 feet. Some of the other slopes include Alpine Meadows, Boreal, Heavenly, and Squaw Valley (host of the 1960 Olympics). Las Vegas has one slope nearby.
7. Family and Dog Friendly. Reno offers no street solicitations. Kids get their faces painted in the casinos, and streets are filled with strollers and snuggies. All of the trails and parks are pet-friendly in Reno. Many local businesses give complimentary water to your dog and sometimes treats, too.
8. Amtrak stops here. Take the legendary California Zephyr from the Bay Area or from as far as Chicago. Enjoy the scenery of the Sierra Nevada mountains.
9. Truckee River Walk. Stroll along Reno's downtown river walk, recently named one of America’s Top Coolest River Walks by Travel & Leisure. In comparison, Vegas has no water. The L.A. Times calls Las Vegas "the nation's driest city," so prepare yourself for mandatory one-minute showers.10. Virginia City. Once one of the most important cities in America following the discovery of gold, Virginia City’s wealth essentially built San Francisco. It’s just a 30-minute drive from Reno.
Whether you love bowling, penny slots, or river walks, Reno offers something for everybody. Take the train. Bring the kids. Lock on your skis. Plan your trip soon and stay at the Grand Sierra Resort to experience the best of Reno—right in the heart of the city!
What are some reasons why you chose Reno over Vegas?