Hit or Stand
It’s you against the house and a little luck never hurt either. Blackjack or “21” is the most widely played casino game. It’s a game where you play against the dealer, but not the other players at the table. The goal is to get more points that than the dealer without busting, or going over 21. Points are calculated as follows: face cards equal 10, number cards equal their number and aces equal either 1 or 11 – your choice.
You can win one of three ways:
- Get 21 on the first two cards you are dealt (known as a blackjack), without the dealer also receiving a blackjack
- Score higher than the dealer without going over 21
- Let the dealer bust, or draw additional cards until their hand goes over 21.
Here’s how it works:
The dealer deals each player two cards. The dealer then checks their own cards to see if they have blackjack, or 21 from the initial two cards dealt. If they do have blackjack the hand is over and the dealer wins. If the dealer has an ace showing they will ask if anyone wants insurance. Insurance is a side bet that the player makes to insure against the possibility that the dealer has 21. This wager, separate from the initial bet, pays $2 for every $1 bet. The dealer will then ask each player in order how they want to proceed.
Here are your options:
- Hit - receive an additional card
- Stand - keep the current cards you have
- Double-down - this allows the player to increase the bet up to 100% in exchange for standing after receiving one more card
- Split - if your first two cards have the same value – for instance two 8’s - the player will add a second bet equal to the amount of the first; the dealer will split the cards and each bet is treated as a separate hand; you then continue to hit or stand for each hand
Finally, after all the players have made their bets, the dealer will reveal their cards. They will hit on a soft 17 or below. Anything equal to a hard 17 or higher the dealer will stand, or keep the cards dealt. As long as you score more points than the dealer without going over 21, you win. It’s that simple.
Tips For Playing
- If you are unsure of what you should do, don’t be afraid to ask the dealer. Even though you are playing against the dealer, they are there to help you understand the game and your options while playing.
- As a general rule you will want to split 8’s. If you have two 8’s your cards equal 16, which can be a tricky spot when deciding whether you should hit or stand. If you split them and receive a card that equals 10 – you now have 18. Since there is only one other card that has a higher value (ace is equal to 1 or 11) the most points you could earn with one card is 19.*
- Also as a general rule you will want to double-down on cards that equal 11. By taking one more card and committing to stand you cannot bust, or go over 21. And, if you happen to get a card equal to 10 you hit 21! High-five!*
- Final tip, have fun! In this game you can build a sort of camaraderie with your playing mates – rooting for and consoling one another while playing.
Qualifying Hand for Table Games Blowout Promotion
In order to receive an entry into our $50,000 Table Games Blowout promotion you, the player, must receive a suited blackjack – for example an ace of spades and jack of spades.
Want to learn more about our $50,000 Table Games Blowout promotion? Click the button below.
*The tips provided are only suggestions and should not be seen as advice on how you should wager or make decisions while playing the game of blackjack.
We are committed to responsible gaming. If you feel that you or someone you know may have a problem with gambling, please seek help. Click here for more information.